Very Big Reforms Needed At The Supreme Court Of India…
The Supreme Court of India has been held in very high esteem, but now a growing number of observers and citizens feel that the court needs major reforms and transparency in its dealings. Recently, 4 of the senior most judges after the CJI publicly rebelled against the Chief Justice.
The list of issues raised in recent months and past years include:
- senior judges are kept of of constitution bench cases;
- cases are randomly assigned or forum shopping where cases are assigned to judges based on the hope of a verdict;
- in 2010 it was alleged that 9 out 16 judges were corrupt at one time, no written procedures or documentation on who are nominated to be next judges on selection of new judges;
- judges and their family member not being required to make public their assets that other public officials are required to;
- unexpected judgements, overuling good judgements of lower courts; and
- even objecting to the setup of a National Judicial Oversight Committee.
Something needs to be done fast to fix the rot and restore the court’s stature.
- 19 Jan 2018