Tirupati Tirumala Devasthanam, the abode of Sri Lord Venkateswara is one of India’s holiest places – visited by nearly 1 lakh daily on average. The temple priests are dedicated to temple service and the lord for generations. Several allegations of mismanagement has been made and the latest is by the head priest – which is truly a sad state of affairs.
These allegations include:
* appointment of eminent academicians to the temple management who do not believe in presiding deity in totality.
* absence of proper accounting of inventory of temple jewelry both new and old for several decades.
* control of even religious rituals carried out at this and other temples and appointment of priests at the temples.
* management of temple finances and even tax the temple income. So the question is how is this any different than during the Mughal period when “jizya” or a special tax was paid by non-Muslims to Muslim rulers?
* auction of temple lands to build homes for poor (a noble cause – but why temple lands).
From numerous stories and anecdotes, there are only tip of the iceberg – things could be much worse than anything has been reported so far…
- 21 May 2018
Sri Padmanabaswamy temple, one of the richest temples in the world, will allow women to wear Salwar Kameez and Churidar. Previously only saris and full length skirt were allowed. If one wore Salwar Kameez and Churidar, then they had to wear a mundo (dhoti) over that. Keralites also wanted this saying that this is more convenient. The temple’s senior Tantri (priest) is against this change as he feels it is against the temple’s centuries old customs.
Source: Manorama Online
- 2 Dec 2016
The Indian army runs the world famous Hanuman Tok temple, which is both a religious and tourist destination at nealry 8,000 feet(or 2,500 meters) elevation. People of all faiths come for darshan, and even though a Hindu temple, the army has employed priests of other faiths as temple priests. In addition to darshan, one gets a 360 degree of Himalayas including views of Nepal in the west, Bhutan in the east and China in the north.
- 27 Oct 2016